CDC is working with state and native public well being officers to monitor the unfold of Omicron. As of December 20, 2021, Omicron has been detected in most states and territories and is quickly growing the proportion of COVID-19 circumstances it’s inflicting.
What We Learn about Omicron
CDC has been collaborating with world public well being and trade companions to study Omicron, as we proceed to watch its course. We don’t but know the way simply it spreads, the severity of sickness it causes, or how nicely obtainable vaccines and drugs work towards it.
The Omicron variant possible will unfold extra simply than the unique SARS-CoV-2 virus and the way simply Omicron spreads in comparison with Delta stays unknown. CDC expects that anybody with Omicron an infection can unfold the virus to others, even when they’re vaccinated or don’t have signs.
Extra knowledge are wanted to know if Omicron infections, and particularly reinfections and breakthrough infections in people who find themselves absolutely vaccinated, trigger extra extreme sickness or loss of life than an infection with different variants.
Present vaccines are anticipated to guard towards extreme sickness, hospitalizations, and deaths resulting from an infection with the Omicron variant. Nonetheless, breakthrough infections in people who find themselves absolutely vaccinated are more likely to happen. With different variants, like Delta, vaccines have remained efficient at stopping extreme sickness, hospitalizations, and loss of life. The latest emergence of Omicron additional emphasizes the significance of vaccination and boosters.
Scientists are working to find out how nicely present therapies for COVID-19 work. Based mostly on the modified genetic make-up of Omicron, some therapies are more likely to stay efficient whereas others could also be much less efficient.
We’ve the Instruments to Combat Omicron
Vaccines stay one of the best public well being measure to guard individuals from COVID-19, gradual transmission, and cut back the probability of latest variants rising.
- COVID-19 vaccines are extremely efficient at stopping extreme sickness, hospitalizations, and loss of life.
- Scientists are at present investigating Omicron, together with how protected absolutely vaccinated individuals will likely be towards an infection, hospitalization, and loss of life.
- CDC recommends that everybody 5 years and older shield themselves from COVID-19 by getting absolutely vaccinated.
- CDC recommends that everybody ages 16 years and older get a booster shot after finishing their major COVID-19 vaccination sequence. You might be eligible for a booster at 5 months after finishing Pfizer-BioNTech major sequence, 6 months after finishing Moderna major sequence, and a couple of months after the preliminary J&J/Janssen vaccine. People ages 16-17 are solely eligible for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.
Masks provide safety towards all variants.
- CDC continues to advocate carrying a masks in public indoor settings in areas of considerable or excessive neighborhood transmission, no matter vaccination standing.
- CDC gives recommendation about masks for individuals who wish to study extra about what sort of masks is correct for them relying on their circumstances.
Checks can inform you if you’re at present contaminated with COVID-19.
- Two kinds of assessments are used to check for present an infection: nucleic acid amplification assessments (NAATs) and antigen assessments. NAAT and antigen assessments can solely inform you you probably have a present an infection.
- People can use the COVID-19 Viral Testing Instrument to assist decide what sort of check to hunt.
- Further assessments could be wanted to find out in case your an infection was attributable to Omicron.
- Go to your state, tribal, native, or territorial well being division’s web site to search for the newest native info on testing.
- Self-tests can be utilized at residence or wherever, are simple to make use of, and produce speedy outcomes.
- In case your self-test has a optimistic end result, keep residence or isolate for 10 days, put on a masks you probably have contact with others, and name your healthcare supplier.
- You probably have any questions on your self-test end result, name your healthcare supplier or public well being division.
Till we all know extra concerning the threat of Omicron, it is very important use all instruments obtainable to shield your self and others.
What CDC is Doing to Find out about Omicron
CDC scientists are working with companions to assemble knowledge and virus samples that may be studied to reply necessary questions concerning the Omicron variant. Scientific experiments have already began. CDC will present updates as quickly as doable.
In the USA, CDC makes use of genomic surveillance to trace variants of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 to extra rapidly determine and act upon these findings to greatest shield the general public’s well being. CDC established a number of methods to attach and share genomic sequence knowledge being produced by CDC, public well being laboratories, and business diagnostic laboratories inside publicly accessible databases maintained by the Nationwide Middle for Biotechnology Informationexternal icon (NCBI) and the World Initiative on Sharing Avian Influenza Dataexternal icon (GISAID). If a variant is circulating at 0.1% frequency, there’s a >99% probability that it is going to be detected in CDC’s nationwide genomic surveillance.
Emergence of Omicron
CDC has been utilizing genomic surveillance all through the course of the pandemic to trace variants of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and inform public well being observe.
- November 24, 2021: A brand new variant of SARS-CoV-2, B.1.1.529, was reported to the World Well being Group (WHO). This new variant was first detected in specimens collected on November 11, 2021 in Botswana and on November 14, 2021 in South Africa.
- November 26, 2021: WHO named the B.1.1.529 Omicron and categorised it as a Variant of Concern (VOC).
- November 30, 2021: The US designated Omicron as a Variant of Concern.
- December 1, 2021: The primary confirmed U.S. case of Omicron was recognized.